In fall 1883, five women applied to Kappa Kappa Gamma for a charter. Within three weeks, the official papers had arrived along with two members of Tau Chapter (later Beta Tau), Syracuse, to initiate them. The charter members were initiated on Nov. 27.
Psi Chapter was the second women's fraternity on Cornell's campus. Kappa Alpha Theta was the first in 1881.
Early on, Psi Chapter suggested an open constitution rather than a secret one and also suggested changes to the design of the membership badge. Both efforts failed, but in 1890 Psi was tasked with revising and adding to the initiation ceremony.
Psi Chapter closed in October 1969, an unfortunate circumstance of the turbulent 1960s on college campuses. However, during the weekend of April 22–24, 1977, Psi Chapter was reinstated as Psi Deuteron Chapter. This momentous occasion marked the first chapter to be reinstalled since Alpha Chapter in 1934.
Psi Deuteron Chapter has more recipients of the Alumnae Achievement Award than any other chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma.
During the 1890s, the meeting place for the chapter had shifted from Sage College to rooms in different parts of Ithaca, New York. By 1921, sufficient funds had been raised to buy a chapter house.
In 1990, a window with Kappa Kappa Gamma's Coat-of-Arms was installed in the foyer. It was designed and constructed by Debra Yelverton.
Learn more about Cornell University