When Adelaide Dean Child, Wisconsin, left for Boston, she decided she must have a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. So, on May 10, 1882, she initiated four charter members she had selected.
Phi Chapter was the first women's fraternity on Boston University's campus. Alpha Phi was installed a year later in 1883.
At the 1890 General Convention, Mary Kingsbury Simkhovitch was made chairman of a planning committee for the first Panhellenic Convention, which was called to order by Phi Chapter on April 15, 1891.
Phi Chapter surrendered its charter in 1971 due to declining membership numbers and increased hostility toward the Greek system.
Julia Ward Howe — an advocate of the abolition of slavery, woman’s suffrage, prison reform and peace as well as poetess, author, lecturer, reformer, and author of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" — was the only honorary member of Phi Chapter. She was initiated in November 1884, just two years after Phi was established. Unlike other honorary members, she was initiated in the usual manner and was known to take an active interest in the chapter and the Fraternity.
In 1922, Phi sponsored another chapter in New England: Gamma Lambda Chapter, Middlebury, in Middlebury, Vermont.
Beatrice Stanton Woodman, 1962 Loyalty Award recipient, gifted to the Fraternity her carved emerald and diamond poison ring, her diamond and sapphire badge, her 50-year pin, and the Gold Medal of Honor of Foreign Affairs awarded by the French government in 1948.
Learn more about Boston University