In fall 1887, nine students organized themselves through correspondence and became the nucleus of Rho Chapter. The chapter at Allegheny College became the third chapter named Rho and was recognized as such when the prefix Gamma was added in 1890.
Kappa Kappa Gamma was the second women's fraternity on Allegheny's campus. Kappa Alpha Theta had been there since 1876. 3. In August 1908, Gamma Rho hosted General Convention.
In 1889, Gamma Rho was given a well-formed skeleton named Mrs. Potter Brown as a gift from the uncle of two members initiated that year. She was a well-known fixture on Allegheny's campus and often stolen by fraternity men as a prank. Eventually, Mrs. Potter Brown was only brought out on special and rare occasions. The remainder of the time, she stays securely packed away in a comfortable spot known only to two members of the chapter.
Gamma Rho has met in the same chapter room since the chapter's founding. The sloping ceiling is recognizable in photographs although the ever-evolving decorations and furnishings reflect the modern sensibilities of each new group of members.
Learn more about Allegheny College