Pi Deuteron

University of California, Berkeley

1880

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. Dating back to 1880, Kappa Kappa Gamma was the first sorority founded at the University of California, Berkeley.

  2. Ella Bailey and Anna Long applied for a charter from Kappa Alpha Theta and were told a charter would not be granted to fewer than six members. They organized four additional friends and by the time the Kappa Alpha Theta charter arrived, they decided to apply for a Kappa Kappa Gamma charter instead. The charter was received on May 22, 1880, and those same six members constituted the charter members. With the papers having been sent by mail, they hadn't been interviewed by any member of the Fraternity and were initiated without any verbal ceremony or instructions.  

  3. The History of Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity 1870–1930 records that Pi Chapter was established by Grand Charter from Epsilon on May 22, 1880, and in spring 1885, it came to an end. Its five years of life were marked by faculty and administration opposition, some lack of chapter harmony, difficulty in finding members among the few women enrolled, and complete isolation from other members, chapters and Fraternity officers. Pi Chapter was reinstalled on Aug. 5, 1897, as Pi Deuteron — the Deuteron denoting that the chapter had existed once before on the same campus.

Fun facts:

  1. Designed by Julia Morgan, the first licensed female architect in California, the chapter house was originally built for the school's chancellor before being renovated for its current use.

University of California, Berkeley

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle