Epsilon Tau Sigma, the petitioning local sorority that had been organized at Drake in February 1903, was the first of the petitioning groups at the school to receive an answer to its petition. Word had been received on March 14, 1921, that Kappa Kappa Gamma had granted it a charter.
On April 30, 1921, the chapters of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma and Chi Omega were established on campus.
In its first year, Gamma Theta Chapter won first place in scholarship. Since then, the scholarship trophy has often been at the Kappa house.
Florence Tomlinson Wallace served as Grand President of Kappa Kappa Gamma and would later serve as President of the international chapter of P.E.O.
The women of Gamma Theta reside in the Millie Y. and Frank P. Mattes House, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1910, this building was originally a farmhouse and was converted to a sorority house in 1959 when it was purchased by Gamma Theta.
In 2012, Gamma Theta started a new tradition of creating scrapbook pages for every big and little sister.
Gamma Theta spent 2014 focused on making improvements to academics. That year alone, members improved their GPA by .1, 25 women obtained 4.0s, 56% of returning members improved their GPA from the spring to fall semester, and three women received their white coats as they were inducted into Drake University’s pharmacy program.
Learn more about