Gamma Psi

University of Maryland

1929–92

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. Sigma Delta, the Greek letters of Kappa’s pledge pin, was the name and Kappa Kappa Gamma was the goal of a group of nine Maryland college women who, on Feb. 20, 1920, formed this first women’s organization on the College Park campus. These pioneers wrote the constitution, bylaws and ritual used throughout Sigma Delta’s existence.

  2. On July 8, 1926, ground was broken, and the Sigma Delta house was moved into that December. It was the first house to be built by a women’s fraternity at the university.

  3.  On June 7, 1929, the dream was realized and Sigma Delta became Gamma Psi Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Gamma Psi and the sister chapter — Gamma Chi, George Washington — were installed at the Sigma Delta house by Fraternity Registrar Florence Tomlinson Wallace, Drake, and Historian May Whiting Westermann, Nebraska. Three chapters also assisted: Beta Alpha, Pennsylvania; Beta Iota, Swarthmore; and Gamma Kappa, William & Mary. It was the first occasion of a two-chapter installation at one time and in the same place.

Fun facts:

  1. Following Alpha Omicron Pi, Kappa was the second national women’s fraternity to be installed on campus. At the time of installation, almost half of the 276 women students were members of the university’s four Greek-letter organizations — two local and two national.

  2. During World War II, many chapter members joined women’s service groups, the Nurse Corps and USO units. They took the lead on campus by assuming extracurricular posts customarily held by male students: editorships of publications, positions in student government, and numerous class officers.

  3. Nationally, the chapter’s best-known member is Jane Cahill, the second woman to be named vice president of IBM.

University of Maryland

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle