In June 1928, the trustees of Denison University in Granville, Ohio, gave permission to the local sororities to petition the nationals. Kappa Phi, the oldest local on campus, was allowed first selection of a national sorority and chose Kappa Kappa Gamma. The petition was granted in November 1929 with installation planned for Dec. 6.
Kappa Phi, at the time of petitioning, was 31 years old and, according to Baird's Manual, the second oldest local sorority in the United States. Kappa Phi was founded in 1898 by six girls of Shepardson College (the women's college, distinct from Denison at that time) who wished to form a "closer bond for friendship and mutual benefit."
For the purpose of owning property, Kappa Phi Sorority was incorporated under the laws of the state of Ohio in 1905. The new house was completed in fall 1906 — the first sorority house at Denison.
One notable aspect of the installation was the initiation of nearly half of the 300 alumna members of Kappa Phi.
Construction of the present Kappa house began in 1950 with the aid of a loan from the Fraternity. In spring 1952, Gamma Omega moved into its new home built of Williamsburg rose brick with white trim.
Members of Gamma Omega do not live in the house but instead use it for chapter meetings and council meetings, as a place to hang out with fellow sisters, or do homework.
Learn more about