The origin of Gamma Gamma Chapter dates back to 1910 when a local sorority known as Beta Sigma was formed at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington. In spring 1918, this group of 24 strong women petitioned Kappa Kappa Gamma for an official charter.
On April 29, 1918, at the house of Ethel Cornwell, the chapter was installed by Fraternity President Lydia Voris Kolbe, Akron, in the presence of sponsors from Beta Kappa Chapter, Idaho.
Gamma Gamma holds chapter meetings in the chapter room in the Kappa section of Prentiss Hall, an all-women dormitory on campus. Gamma Gamma has been using Prentiss residence hall to house sophomore members. The chapter rents from the college, and typically about 25 sisters can live there. Kappa has been housed there since the dorm was built in 1926.
In 2005, the chapter purchased a glass display case where it organized and displayed some of its most important and interesting archives. It was placed in the chapter room so the items would be visible to all members and guests.
At the 2010 Convention, the chapter received the Sally Moore Nitschke Lifelong Education Award and honorable mentions in the categories of chapter management, house board, and philanthropy.
In 2016, Gamma Gamma's major philanthropic event, Mr. Whitman, broke its fundraising record and raised over $50,000.
Learn more about