Gamma Epsilon

University of Pittsburgh

1919

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. Epsilon Rho Omicron was formed on Feb. 22, 1916, with the purpose of petitioning Kappa Kappa Gamma for membership. In February 1919, this dream came true when Grand President Lydia Voris Kolbe, Akron, conducted installation ceremonies for the 15 charter members.

  2. In 1921, Kappas shared their first house at 4633 Center Ave. with the Chi Omegas. Neither could have managed alone. Gamma Epsilon Chapter moved into its first home on May 13, 1922. 

  3. On Sept. 8, 1964, the Kappas and members of Kappa Alpha Theta at Pittsburgh moved into “their house.” It marked a Panhellenic first: the housing of two chapters in one building that was financed by money given by alumnae and collegians of the two groups from all over the world.

Fun facts:

  1. All the women’s fraternity houses at Pitt were also student houses. There were many commuters and not enough Kappas living on campus to fill the house, so any woman student who was approved by the dean of women could live there. It wasn't until the 1959–60 school year that the house became all Kappa.

  2. The duplex that housed members of Kappa Kappa Gamma and Kappa Alpha Theta provided identical but separate units. Each unit contained a living room, chapter room/dining room, kitchen, 10 bedrooms that housed 20 girls, a house director’s room and bath, the usual storage rooms, powder rooms and bathrooms.

  3. The historical badge is traditionally and currently worn by the chapter President. It once belonged to Olive Phillips, Ohio Wesleyan, as an "honorary" member.

University of Pittsburgh

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle