In January 1919, Mu Sigma Alpha's petition to Kappa’s Grand Council was accepted and Gamma Delta chapter was installed. Twenty charter members were initiated on Jan. 24. Mu Chapter, Butler, was the installing group and three national officers were present.
A highlight of Gamma Delta's early years was the initiation of Carolyn E. Shoemaker, Purdue’s first dean of women. At first, she had felt she was needed as dean to give advice and support to all the fledgling national organizations, but a few years later when sororities were on a more substantial footing, she accepted Gamma Delta's invitation. She was pledged on June 3 and initiated June 6, 1921. A loyal and tireless worker for Purdue, she had been instrumental in gaining the consent of the president and faculty for the admission of national sororities.
In October 2019, Gamma Delta celebrated its Centennial with hundreds of alumnae traveling to West Lafayette, Indiana, for the festivities. The event also included a visit by Kappa's mobile museum, the Minnie Stewart van.
A Kappa key first appeared on the campus in 1885, worn by Rose Wagner, Kansas.
The site of the present chapter house was obtained in 1929. The minutes of May 20, 1928, read, "It was passed we buy the lot back of the ATO house." No mention of the street, the size of the lot, or boundaries — just "back of the ATO house."
Learn more about