Epsilon Delta

Arizona State University

1959

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. On April 24, 1959, Epsilon Delta Chapter at Arizona State University became the first Kappa chapter to be installed at a Province Convention (the previously held local/regional meetings opposite Convention years).

  2. The effort to start a chapter at Arizona State University was a long one that started in 1948. That year, the university administration asked a former faculty member (who was a Kappa from Gamma Zeta Chapter, Arizona) to present the possibility of establishing a chapter to Kappa Kappa Gamma's Extension Committee. The committee decided not to establish then, but planned to present the possibility to the 1950 Convention. However, the campus was closed to further establishment in 1949 and was not reopened until 1956. The administration asked Kappa to reconsider and at the 1958 Convention, it was unanimously voted to establish a chapter at Arizona State. 

  3. The chapter's first full year began with 21 members living together on the third floor of C Wing in Palo Verde Hall. The chapter furnished and maintained a kitchen, chapter room, and pledge room. The university furnished the bedrooms.

  4. In August 2018, the chapter moved into a brand-new facility located in the Greek Leadership Village. It includes a four-story, 40-bed house with a gym, large common area, kitchen, and custom furnishings.

Fun facts:

  1. Mrs. Cummard presented a diamond key for the member receiving the highest grades, and Lillian Waterman Mieg, Indiana, gave a "flat" key award to be worn by the member showing the greatest scholarship improvement.

  2. Cheryl Edel Stewart wrote the lyrics and music of the "Centennial Prayer.”

Arizona State University

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle