Founded as a local literary society of the Women’s College of Baltimore, Tau Kappa Phi, as it was affectionately known, was the oldest fraternity in a long list of women’s groups.
In 1932, the group decided it was time to become national and, having been approved by various officers and committees of Kappa, petitioned for membership. The Delta Theta Chapter was installed in September 1933.
Grand President Alice Tillotson Barney, Minnesota, conducted the installation ceremonies. Catherine Simmons Russell, Akron, was awarded a co-organizer scholarship to the chapter for 1933–34.
In the October 1943 issue of The Key, the chapter was not mentioned in the directory of chapters, and in December, there was no directory mention and no chapter letter. So, unsung, the chapter died.
Delta Theta’s major accomplishment, and one scarcely known, was the stand taken in favor of the initiation of a Japanese student, a brilliant American-born daughter of a professor, in the period just before the U.S. entered the war against Japan.
Learn more about