Delta Sigma

Oklahoma State University

1947

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. The movement to establish a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma at Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College (later Oklahoma State University) was instigated by Jessa DeFoliart Scott, Arkansas, and Melba Errebo Cordell, Monmouth. These two had enrolled at Oklahoma A&M and roomed together, but they missed the chapter life they had enjoyed. So, they wrote to Kappa Headquarters about the possibility of establishing a chapter.

  2. Installation took place on April 11–12, 1947, with Director of Alumnae Helena Flinn Ege, Pittsburgh, as the installing officer. Beta Theta Chapter, Oklahoma, was the installing chapter.

Fun facts:

  1. Construction on a chapter house began almost immediately in 1948 and Fraternity Architect Frances Sutton Schmitz, Michigan, and her architect husband were appointed to draw up plans for "an attractive but cheap house for 45 girls … a difficult assignment!" 

  2. When the chapter outgrew its first house, the Frances and her husband were again the architects for a larger house that the chapter moved into in 1968.

Oklahoma State University

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle