Delta Rho

University of Mississippi

1947

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. In fall 1945, the dean of women at the University of Mississippi asked Kappa Kappa Gamma to consider the school for a chapter. In spring 1946, Executive Secretary Clara O. Pierce, Ohio State, visited at the request of the chancellor. With the approval of the Memphis Alumnae Association, the petition was made at the 1946 Convention at Mackinac Island, Michigan. 

  2. Installation took place the weekend of March 14–16, 1947, with 10 charter members and Fraternity President Ruth Kadel Seacrest, Nebraska, presiding. 

  3. When the plans for Delta Rho were underway, there were seven sororities on campus and housing was limited to a few seniors in the small lodges operated by each group. A new house was soon underway and the chapter moved into the lovely red brick Colonial house in fall 1948.

Fun facts:

  1. The chapter’s house was the first on campus to accommodate as many as 20 members with a dining capacity of 48. 

  2. In 2007, Delta Rho celebrated its 16th birthday with a party attended by one of its founding members.

  3. A member of the chapter was the first to start Pack-a-Thon, a Feed the Hunger event at Ole Miss. Since then, the chapter has undertaken the event and hosted it each year.

University of Mississippi

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle