Delta Psi

Texas Tech University

1953

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. When the college was less than two years old, Mary Doak, the dean of women, realized the need for a social organization for women students and selected a group of outstanding girls to be the nucleus of Las Chaparritas, the first social group on campus. 

  2. When Las Chaparritas became Delta Psi Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma on March 27, 1953, it was the first Greek-letter social fraternity on the Texas Tech campus — one of five social clubs and eight men's clubs to be installed as Greek-letter organizations after the Texas Tech board of regents opened the campus to national groups in June 1952. 

  3. Delta Psi Chapter was installed March 27, 1953, at the Lubbock Women's Club. President Edith Reese Crabtree, Wooster, officiated, and Executive Secretary Clara O. Pierce, Ohio State, was among the national officers who attended.

Fun facts:

  1. Through Reading Is Fundamental in 2019, the chapter chose Ervin Elementary School to give back to and support. Every week, women from the chapter sit and read with kids.

  2. Instead of a house, the chapter has a lodge since no more than three people can live in one house unless they are related. Therefore, there is a small circular neighborhood made up of only sorority and fraternity lodges called the “Greek Circle.”

Texas Tech University

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle