In June 1946, Jane Sheble Haigh decided to start a local group at Bucknell University with the goal of membership in Kappa Kappa Gamma. Jane's mother, Amy Moran Sheble, was initiated at Psi Chapter, Cornell, in 1914, and Jane had grown up hearing about Kappa. When Jane shared her thoughts with the dean of women, Eleanor Runk Reppert, she found to her surprise that Eleanor had been a Kappa at Beta Iota Chapter, Swarthmore.
With the assistance of Eleanor and two other Kappas on the faculty, a group was formed in June 1946 and it took the name Alpha Sigma Alpha.
Delta Phi Chapter's installation took place on Oct. 30, 1948. Six of the original members of Alpha Sigma Alpha had graduated, including Jane Sheble, but all came back for the installation.
In 2007, the Kappas brought a new project to Bucknell’s campus called Charity Denim. Designer and fashion jeans were sold at a discount price to university students and proceeds were donated to a local organization, the Donald Heiter Community Center.
In 1996, Delta Phi was named Most Efficient Chapter.
Learn more about