The Miami Triad of fraternities (Beta Theta Pi, Phi Delta Theta, and Sigma Chi) was founded at Miami University. Delta Zeta and Delta Sigma Epsilon were founded on the campus in 1902 and 1914, respectively. Interest in Kappa Kappa Gamma began when a local group wanted to petition and Fraternity officers visited in 1935.
The situation was "canvassed," and it was suggested that Frances Kimbrough, Kentucky, (the member who presented the petition) and Ethel Russell Wickenden, Denison, organize a group with Harriet S. Hall Bennett (the niece of a member of Beta Nu Chapter, Ohio State) and two others. Later, a letter from a member of Lambda Chapter, Akron, introduced her freshman granddaughter, Marion Hubach Workman. This was followed by their recommendations, and so the chapter’s foundations were laid.
Materials and credentials were shown at the 1940 Convention in Sun Valley, Idaho. By unanimous vote, Delta Lambda's petition was accepted.
To celebrate the chapter’s 20th year, funds for an annual scholarship were deposited.
In 1967, plans began for a circular bench to commemorate Kappa’s Centennial, an idea initiated by Dr. Susan Rockwood, Cincinnati.
In the 1980s, “Kappa Klamour” continued to be Delta Lambda’s yearly newsletter. It highlighted pledge classes, officers, and philanthropy and social events throughout the year. Alumnae of the chapter were also featured.
Learn more about