Delta Gamma

Michigan State University

1930

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. The history of Delta Gamma Chapter unfolds with the first meeting of 11 enthusiastic girls as members of Delphian on Jan. 8, 1898, in the YMCA in East Lansing, Michigan. At the time, there was some dissatisfaction with the name and the charter, so the following fall, the name was changed to Themian Literary Society and a new charter was adopted. The constitutional object of the society was to promote the literary and social culture of its members and develop human fellowship, stressing loyalty and friendship.

  2. Thirty-two years later, the Themian Literary Society became Delta Gamma Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma on Nov. 7, 1930. The chapter was installed by Grand President Alice Tillotson Barney, Minnesota, and Executive Secretary Clara O. Pierce, Ohio State. Members of Beta Delta Chapter, Michigan, helped with the installation.

  3. Delta Gamma’s philanthropies have always been in the field of rehabilitation. At present and in years past, members have worked at an extended care facility in Okemos, Michigan. Collegians and alumnae volunteer in the local hospitals during the winter holidays.

Fun facts:

  1. Members of Delta Gamma have a chapter house of which to be proud. It's a lovely red-brick Georgian Colonial house with white shutters that catch the eye with their fleur-de-lis motif. This house has been home for the chapter since 1931.

  2. Delta Gamma received several notable awards at the Greek Gala in 2016, including president of the year in 2015 as well as the scholastic excellence award and greek woman of the year in 2016.

Michigan State University

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle