Delta Chi

San Jose State University

1949–72

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. The Allenians on the campus of San Jose State University were founded in 1896 and were the oldest local organization at the school. Its first president, Hellen Schultz Payne, joined Kappa Kappa Gamma 50 years later and became one of Kappa's most enthusiastic members. 

  2. The Allenians petitioned Kappa Kappa Gamma for a charter at the 1948 Convention in Sun Valley, Idaho, and it was granted by unanimous vote. The chapter was the 10th of 13th National Panhellenic Conference organizations to come on campus in less than a year. 

  3. Delta Chi Chapter was installed on Jan. 28, 1949, and Fraternity President Helena Flinn Ege, Pittsburgh, presided with assistance by additional Fraternity Council officers. Chapter members from Pi Deuteron Chapter, UC Berkeley; Gamma Xi Chapter, UCLA; and Delta Tau Chapter, USC (Calif.), assisted as well.

Fun facts:

  1. The second chapter house was nicknamed “the Miracle of 11th Street” by the longtime House Board President, Helen Andres Steiner.

  2. The house was designed by Frances Sutton Schmitz, Michigan, Fraternity architect. It was three stories high, contained 24,000 square feet, and housed 67 girls.

San Jose State University

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle