By 1929, there were four national sororities and several local groups at Duke. That year, local sorority Sigma Beta was added to the Panhellenic Council and remained local for two years. With the help of sponsors Eva Malone Ellis and Clarence Pemberton and under the guidance of Rheva Ott Shryock, Pennsylvania, the members of Sigma Beta decided to petition Kappa Kappa Gamma.
The request for a charter accompanied by a film prepared by the members was granted at the 1930 Convention. Delta Beta Chapter was installed on Oct. 25, 1930, by Executive Secretary Clara O. Pierce, Ohio State, assisted by Gamma Kappa Chapter, William & Mary. Others in attendance included Province Directors, alumnae and collegians from 12 eastern chapters.
In the earliest days of Delta Beta Chapter and Duke University, the student life of men and women was very different. During World War II, for the first time, women assumed posts previously held by men. The first full-time woman editor of the university yearbook, the managing editor of the student newspaper, and the advertising manager of the student literary magazine were all Kappas.
One of Delta Beta’s many traditions is the awarding of the Standards Key each semester to the senior who best exemplifies Kappa. This key was formerly worn by Rheva Ott Shryock, Pennsylvania. She presented it to the chapter in 1948.
In 2020, Delta Beta moved to the brand-new section on west campus, where the sophomore pledge class currently lives.
Outside of the Kappa suite, the chapter added a Kappa-themed bench.
Learn more about