Delta Alpha

Pennsylvania State University

1930

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. When Pennsylvania State University trustees authorized the organization of women’s social groups in 1922, six girls met in a campus oak grove and founded Sychor. The plan was to petition Kappa Kappa Gamma as soon as national affiliations were permitted.

  2. Sychor became Delta Alpha Chapter of Kappa in 1930, the sixth national sorority on campus. Sychor’s green and gold colors and its little gold acorn badge were replaced by Kappa’s light and dark blue and the key on Oct. 3, 1930, at the Wesley Foundation Hall of the State College Methodist Church.

  3. Delta Alpha was installed by Fraternity President Florence Tomlinson Wallace, Drake; Executive Secretary Clara O. Pierce, Ohio State; and Gamma Epsilon Chapter, Pittsburgh.

  4. A Kappa memorial scholarship for graduate study abroad was endowed in 1966 by the husband of Susanna Stover Root, a Sychor alumna. The scholarship is still awarded today.

Fun facts:

  1. Helen Kinsloe, charter member and notable Kappa personality, has been honored by the chapter’s only memorial award for Fraternity loyalty and scholarship. It was established by Delta Alpha alumnae and State College Kappas in 1963 after Helen’s death, which deprived the Fraternity of a dynamic leader whose rapport with the chapter was enhanced by her faculty position as a student adviser and teacher of bacteriology.

  2. Members of Delta Alpha were well-known on campus for their participation and involvement in philanthropies. They participated in the annual THON, one of the largest student-run philanthropic events in the country, and events hosted by other Greek-letter organizations. 

  3. On Jan. 15, 1979, the 1,000th member of Delta Alpha was initiated.

Pennsylvania State University

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle