The hope that became Beta Sigma Chapter began with Ethel Gauvran Smith in 1903. She and a few special friends formed a little group called “Question Mark,” meaning “When will we be Kappas?”
When Beta Sigma was installed as Adelphi's first women's fraternity on campus in 1905, members were aided by one of their teachers, Elizabeth Rhodes, Cornell.
Beta Sigma's application to surrender its charter was made in April 1954 because there was a lack of time, place and opportunity to meet and work together.
Beta Sigma was known as "the singing chapter" and contributed many songs that are still sung today.
Adelphi was originally an academy for young women and was not co-educational until 1945.
Beta Sigma Chapter has produced both an Editor and an Associate Editor of The Key. Lois Catherman Heenehan was the Associate Editor of The Key and an Editorial Board member for four decades. She was recognized with the Loyalty Award in 2002.
Learn more about