Beta Phi

University of Montana

1909

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. Beta Phi Chapter was founded on March 20, 1909, with 17 charter members. From 21 petitioning groups, Beta Phi was the single charter granted in almost four years.

  2. Beta Phi came from Delta Sigma, a local organization at the University of Montana founded in 1904. It was the first organization of its kind at the university. 

  3. The original badges for the charter members were made from Montana nugget gold — golden keys for girls of the “Treasure State.”

  4. In 1914, seven members moved into a rented residence. Ten subsequent moves were made before 1924. When the building corporation was organized in December 1920, the first steps were taken to purchase a chapter house.

Fun facts:

  1. The chapter’s beautiful home is on the National Register of Historic Places.

  2. In 2014, renovations were made to redesign the living room to resemble the time period of when the house was first built in 1902. The original wood floors in the living room were restored and period-specific furniture, paintings, and color schemes were all done to represent the 1900s while keeping a modern touch.

  3. For 22 years, Beta Phi was guided by Mrs. Frank P. Keith, whose three daughters and two granddaughters were members of the chapter. She was saluted on her retirement as the house mother with the longest tenure on Kappa records.

University of Montana

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle