Beta Kappa

University of Idaho

1916

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. Omega Pi, the nucleus of Beta Kappa Chapter, was officially recognized by the University of Idaho faculty on Feb. 10, 1911. Gamma Phi Beta and Delta Gamma were already established and Omega Pi soon decided on Kappa Kappa Gamma as its goal.

  2. Not until March 1915 did an official inspector, Grand Secretary Mary Rodes Leaphart, Kentucky, visit the chapter. She charmed the girls, who were convinced more than ever that a Kappa charter was their desire. The following summer, Grand Council gave Omega Pi unanimous approval to establish a chapter at the University of Idaho. Installation was held with Grand President Eva Powell, UC Berkeley, on Feb. 26, 1916. The next day, Initiation was held for those who had joined the group after the petition was signed. That evening, a banquet honored 48 new Kappas.

  3. Just two years later, Beta Kappa served as “mother chapter” for Gamma Gamma Chapter, Whitman, and again in 1919 for Gamma Eta Chapter, Washington State.

Fun facts:

  1. Kappa Kappa Gamma was the third sorority to be established at the University of Idaho. Gamma Phi Beta and Delta Gamma were already on campus.

  2. A new house, which utilized part of the old house on the old site, was erected in 1923. The colonial-style building accommodated 35 girls and a housemother. By February 1955, the new wing was completed and 60–65 girls could be accommodated.

  3. From the details on the wall to the tile on the floor, Kappa symbols can be found everywhere in the house. All of the artwork is made and donated by previous members. The white house on the hill has been a home away from home for over 100 years, and it continues to be a home for all of its members.

University of Idaho

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle