Beta Beta Deuteron

St. Lawrence University

1881

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. With the increase of student activities came a decidedly feminist feeling on the campus of St. Lawrence University. Largely responsible were four Kappas: Emily Eaton Hepburn, Lucia Heaton, Florence Lee Whitman, and Grace Lynd — the only women trustees of the university.

  2. Beta Beta Chapter was originally founded in 1875 as the Browning Society, which was named for the poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning. 

  3. When the Browning Society became a chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma in 1881, it was originally named Beta Chapter, taking the name of the defunct Beta Chapter at St. Mary's School in Knoxville, Illinois. At the 1890 Convention, the chapter was renamed Beta Beta. 

  4. It was the Browning Society and later Beta Beta Chapter that brought Athena and her owl to the Fraternity. 

  5. In 1898, the Fraternity concluded that chapters of Kappa Kappa Gamma had best be confined to larger colleges and universities and began to put the policy into effect by voting to withdraw Beta Beta's charter. The members of the chapter objected and functioned as a local society, Zeta Phi, until Oct. 16, 1915, when Beta Beta Deuteron was established at St. Lawrence.

Fun facts:

  1. The chapter used to refer to what they called "The Kappa Kastle" (their house) as "The Lodge."

  2. Beta Beta Chapter, already known for its original songs as “the singing chapter,” was chosen to publish the first Kappa Kappa Gamma songbook.

  3. Beta Beta Chapter gave the Fraternity its guardian, Athena, as well as "The Call."

St. Lawrence University

Learn more about 

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle