Kappa's first chapter made its debut public appearance at Monmouth College on Oct. 13, 1870.
Due to a ban on secret societies at Monmouth College, Alpha Chapter ceased operations in 1878 and Kappa Kappa Gamma agreed to remove Alpha Chapter from the active rolls in 1884. It was reinstated as Alpha Deuteron on Oct.13, 1934.
When the chapter was forced underground, members were initiated in secret in order to continue the organization. The name of the underground chapter was Kappa Alpha Sigma: Kappa for Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha for Alpha Chapter, and Sigma for our signature.
There are three Founders buried in the Monmouth City cemetery.
There are paintings of Minnie Stewart in The Stewart House.
Martha Louisa Stevenson Miller, one of the six Founders, was present for the reinstallation ceremony of Alpha Deuteron Chapter in 1934.
Learn more about