Beta Rho Deuteron

University of Cincinnati

1885

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. The original organization of Rho Chapter was described differently by the early members. The chapter was loosely organized in June 1885 and, according to one of the supposed charter members, "The chapter here was started under misapprehension. We had written for information concerning the society and to our surprise, someone was sent at once to initiate us. But we found that it was not exactly what we needed and we requested to have our charter withdrawn and to be honorably dismissed." That first iteration was given the name Rho, named for the deceased chapter at Ohio Wesleyan University. Then, once the chapter at the University of Cincinnati was closed (just a few months after its organization), the name Rho was then given to the chapter at Allegheny College.

  2. In 1890, the deceased Rho Chapter at the University of Cincinnati was given the prefix Beta to designate it as the second chapter to be given the name Rho. When Beta Rho was reinstalled in 1914, the chapter was known as Beta Rho Deuteron. The Deuteron signified that it was the second time the chapter had appeared on that campus.

  3. When Beta Rho was off campus, a local organization called Alpha Phi Psi helped petition to get Kappa back. Their efforts were successful and, in 1914, Beta Rho Deuteron was reinstalled at the University of Cincinnati.

Fun facts:​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. The members of Beta Rho Chapter first shared a housing space with the women of Kappa Alpha Theta before being able to get their own house.

  2. The front gate of the house is made of doors that were once part of an elevator in Paris, France.

Learn more about
University of Cincinnati

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle