Beta Alpha

University of Pennsylvania

1890–1977

Historical facts: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. Beta Alpha Chapter was the first women's organization at the University of Pennsylvania and was the only women's organization from 1890–1904.

  2. Beta Alpha Chapter is credited with helping philanthropy become more organized in the Fraternity. Fanny Ryson Hitchcock, a pioneer woman scientist, started a fund to support a woman's graduate study at the government's deep-sea research laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. That was the beginning of Kappa Kappa Gamma's scholarship programs.

  3. Rheva Ott Shryock was Grand President of the Fraternity from 1936–40 and was also a recipient of the Loyalty Award in 1968.

  4. Beta Alpha Chapter closed in 1977 with 937 initiates due to circumstances at the university relative to the Greek system and conditions within the chapter.

Fun facts:​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  1. No officer came to install Beta Alpha Chapter. Instead, the charter members were initiated by Lois Macy Otis, Cornell. Lois was honorably discharged from Psi Chapter to become a founder and charter member of Beta Alpha Chapter.

  2. The first woman for whom the doors of Houston Hall (the student union) were opened in 1906 was Mary D. Griffith Canby.

  3. The chapter house at 3323 Walnut St. was acquired for the chapter "through the kindness of Mrs. Pope Yeatman," mother of Beta Alpha Chapter member Georgina Yeatman.

Learn more about
University of Pennsylvania

© 2019 #KappaTurns150 for Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle